Leisure / Education


38. Do I get any concessions for (e.g.) swimming, evening classes?

Concessions are widely available throughout Somerset for a wide variety of local authority run leisure and education activities for people
with disabilities. Each local Council within Somerset applies different charges and operates different concessionary rates. In each case it’s worth contacting your local authority leisure and education departments for current details (See Appendix E for contact details).


39. Are there any sports centres or swimming pools particularly suitable for people with disabilities?

Most sports centres and pools in Somerset are fully accessible for disabled people, with hoists to assist entry into and out of the water. Not all run disabled only sessions. You can contact your local council for more information (See Appendix E).
Strode Swimming Pool in Street on 01458 443918 run disabled only swim sessions.
Trinity Sports and Leisure Centre in Bridgwater on 01278 429119 also run disabled only swim sessions.
The 1610 sports centres in the area also all have disabled access with the King Alfred centre in Burnham and the Shepton Mallet centre running a ‘Strawberry Club’ for those with learning difficulties and disabilities. Visit www.1610.org.uk for more information.
Somerset Activity and Sports Partnership also offer information about disability sports, view their website www.sasp.co.uk for further information or contact their disability manager on 01823 653990.

40. What facilities are in place to allow disabled people to pursue higher education opportunities?

Disability Rights UK provide information and support for anyone interested in higher education. They run a helpline 0800 328 5050 or you can e-mail students@disabilityrightsuk.org
Somerset Skills and Learning is an organisation backed by Somerset County Council providing further education courses in the region. They also have several advisors and centres across Somerset who can give advice and information, including about funding, to anyone seeking to pursue higher education opportunities.
For general enquiries and further information
Telephone: 0845 688 0488
Email: generalenquiries@somerset.gov.uk
If you are a student in higher education you may also be entitled to a Disabled Student’s Allowance (DLA) which can help pay towards various costs such as specialist equipment you may need or a personal assistant. Your higher education provider should be able to provide you with all the details you need or you can visit GOV.UK’s website – https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/overview – for further information.


41. I am finding it difficult to use my computer and it is my lifeline. Is there any practical or financial support available to help me?

AbilityNet is a national charity helping disabled adults use computers and the internet by adapting and adjusting their technology. Their special expertise is ensuring that whatever your age, health condition, disability or situation you find exactly the right way to adapt or adjust your ICT to make it easier to use. They will send you a questionnaire to assess your needs and they hold a bank of equipment which they can give out on longterm loan. The service is free to individuals and they have a tremendous success rate. To contact AbilityNet telephone their general enquiry line on 0800 269545.

42. I want to go on holiday, but I require carers to help me with my personal care whilst I am away. Where can I find out places whichwould be suitable?

The national charitable organisations which represent the interests of people with neurological conditions such as the MS Society, Parkinson’s UK and the MND Association all have help line numbers. Each organisation has a wealth of experience and knowledge of advising people regarding practical issues with their own specific conditions. All keep details of places which are offering suitable holiday accommodation and personal care support.
Telephone numbers for all the organisations can be found in Appendix A at the back of this booklet.
There is also a national charitable organisation which provides holiday information to anyone with extra needs:
Tourism for All
7A Pixel Mill
44 Appleby Road
Cumbria LA9 6ES
Telephone: 0845 124 9971
E-mail: info@tourismforall.org.uk
Before going on holiday it is necessary to review what insurance you will need to have in place to cover your clinical needs. It is advisable to approach the charities listed above to obtain further information and support.